Monday, April 24, 2006

Sugar and Spice

A baby will make love stronger, days shorter, nights longer, bankroll smaller, home happier, clothes shabbier, the past forgotten, and the future worth living for. ~ unknown

Watching a friend’s dreams come true is one of the greatest pleasures in life. Last year when Carolina got married, it was such a joy to be able to be part of her happiness. I spent most of the time I was there on the verge of tears….happy ones, of course. I couldn’t speak on her behalf at the rehearsal dinner because I knew I’d never get the first word out without turning into Blubbering Girl. Not a very nice nickname. Anyway, she knows that public speaking is not my forte and that my lack of spoken words in public was in no way due to a lack of emotion. She got a written note instead (imagine that). I never contemplated at the time that before another year had passed I would be shedding celebratory tears on her behalf once again. Today it was even more special: a message from Carolina stating that she had given birth to a healthy, gorgeous 7lb. 14 oz., 20 inch long baby girl. I was in exercise class when she called. I almost took the phone in with me, but figured that I’d be ok for the next hour. A mere 10 minutes into the class was when she called. When Daughter was born, I couldn’t imagine NOT having spoken with Carolina….I even called her early in the morning…before 8 o’clock…maybe even 7 (with her memory, she’ll know exactly). So now that the baby waiting is over, I will now wait impatiently until I can speak with her so we can mull over all the gory details as all mothers do. It’s a universal law that all who have given birth must forever speak of and rehash every detail to any other woman who will listen (and as women, we all listen to every birth story we can…they even make tv shows that we have all watched at one time or another to compare our stories to these strangers….aw’ c’mon…you know it’s true). Hmm…how long can I wait before I take a trip to Detroit to see The Baby?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

When do you want to go? I'm ready! :) xx0xx

Suzie said...

Congratulations to Carolina. I don't know her personally but I always feel happy and excited over the joy of a new life.