Sunday, April 16, 2006

Get Me a Swiffer

Art washes from the soul the dust of everyday life. -- Pablo Picasso

If this is the case, then hose me down with a vat of Endust 'cause this chick is the antonym of artistic! Ethel's gallery had a grand opening yesterday. Meaning to get there at five, I ended up arriving at least an hour late. Why? A variety of reasons. Nonetheless, I arrived fashionably late (not referring to my attire, however) and perused the many examples of art that she has displayed - her own personal work in the form of beaded jewelry and breathtaking photos - along with the art of other artists that she displays and sells. Our friends from Raleigh, Hippie and Hippie's Chick, were among the artists present. It was absolutely wonderful visiting with them...even though we keep abreast of each others lives through our blogs, we had not seen them since Carolina's wedding one year ago. Hippie's Chick has created these wire hangings that are wonderfully imaginative: copper wire twisted in intricate curls and adorned with large glass marbles (sorry if I have failed to describe them well). She simply calls them Wire Things. They are quite nifty. Jazzy, another friend, has artwork being retailed in the gallery. She has created a colorful variety of scarves. At first I was a bit taken aback because she has claimed to have no artistic talent. Quite the contrary. Not present in the gallery is any offering from me. Why? Because this chick is not capable of creating anything beyond crap cut out of construction paper and affixed to something else with glue. The true antithesis of artist is sitting here typing pathetically about the injustice of being a non-artist. Some tend to think I have a knack for writing....oh, yes, my sarcastic rantings are just the kind of art one wants to purchase....I don't think the gallery is the proper arena for my product. (Get ready for the drama) Oh, the self-loathing! I sense that my "dark years" are just beginning. I shall hide away in a remote crevice until I can discover an artistic talent worthy of notoriety.
Yes, Ethel and Jazzy, this was composed for you. And yes, I am smiling, dammit!

sidenote: I apologize to those of you reading that have absolutely no idea what this crap is all about. :0)

1 comment:

Suzie said...

Oh the "dark years" have hit you! I don't think knitting a scarf is artistic. I could teach you to do it in 5 minutes flat. I can't draw my way out of a paper bag, I can't sing or choreograph my own dances, I can't photograph anything without cutting off its head. Your gift in writing could be shared by all if you put your mussings into a book (I'm sure ethel would sell it) and I think most would find them funny. I know I'm laughing, damn it!