Thursday, April 20, 2006

Inspirational

I am unwritten, can't read my mind, I'm undefined
I'm just beginning, the pen's in my hand, ending unplanned

Staring at the blank page before you
Open up the dirty window
Let the sun illuminate the words that you could not find

Reaching for something in the distance
So close you can almost taste it
Release your inhibitions
Feel the rain on your skin
No one else can feel it for you
Only you can let it in
No one else, no one else
Can speak the words on your lips
Drench yourself in words unspoken
Live your life with arms wide open
Today is where your book begins
The rest is still unwritten ~ Natasha Bedingfield

When listening to music I am often guilty of not listening to the lyrics until I am convinced that I like the actual music. Sometimes a song will be around for a bit before I completely get into the lyrics. Then I am frequently disappointed by what I hear….especially if it involves most of the “hip hoppish” music that is prevalent and that I secretly adore. Case in point, the Black Eyed Peas. I really like a lot of their tunes, but am not completely sold on their lyrics. They are perfect for dancing like a complete idiot in the private confines of my home with my children. Don’t Phunk With My Heart is quite catchy, but when Son sings it in front of people that don’t know the song, it sounds as though he is dropping the “f-bomb” and I guess, for general purposes, he basically IS since the lyricists have disguised the “f-bomb” with the word “phunk”. My Humps is another gem in which the chick singing the song brags about what she will be able to get by flaunting her “lovely lady lumps” that are in the “back and in the front”. Then, for those who can’t figure out what those are, they actually end up referencing these parts as “ass” and “breasts” in a series of questions sung by a man (Whatcha gonna do wit all that ass inside those jeans?) and then answers supplied by the woman (I’m gonna get you drunk…love drunk off my humps). As obnoxious as the words are, the tunes are addictive if you are into that sort of music. Hubby is not and is often tortured when one of these wildly wonderful songs comes on the XM since it will be cranked and the Mom and Kid dance party begins. All my better judgment about exposing my children to inappropriate music instantly evaporates when we can have Instant Dance Party. These songs are not the only source of deception. Even simple sounding love ballads may sound innocuous, but are merely wolves in sheep clothing. That sappy sounding Kelly Clarkson song about never straying far from the sidewalk sounds like a touching tribute thanking someone for keeping her safe. Listen more closely and it’s not quite the case: Because of you I find it hard to trust not only me, but everyone around me Because of you I am afraid” Just the type of song I want dedicated to me! “Thanks for all the mental abuse you heaped on me...yes, I am safe, but terrified to live and it’s all your fault.” I know, I have provided commentary about music many blogs ago, but I have actually found a song that I thought was quite inspirational. So inspirational, in fact, that I used the lyrics to open this entry. I love the choice of words like “drench” and “illuminate” along with the comparison of life to an empty book that is to be written daily. Wow, a side of me that normally doesn’t emerge in this forum….shocking, huh? Yay for this simple, yet motivating song. I am now going to detach myself from this beast (the computer) and go write my book for today. It is the perfect day for writing….sunny, warm, and absolutely gorgeous. I will open up my dirty windows (literally) and let the sun illuminate my world. The beach will be visited in some way today!

2 comments:

jackie said...

you crack me up! although i have to say i thought the "love humps" in the front were a bit more--er--labial in nature. maybe i misunderstood (i can hope!) i wish I could go to the beach today. *sigh* miss you and your girl...

Kristin said...

they probably ARE (labial, that is), but they cover it up by that guy asking about her ASS! miss you, too!