Wednesday, November 08, 2006

Oh, Well....

There is always time for failure. ~ John Mortimer

Did I set myself up for failure or what? A blog a day....how long did it take me to stop? I have really excellent excuses. Shall I enumerate them?

1. Cheerleading on Saturday. Over an hour drive to get there....only to find out (after busting butt to get there on time) that the time had been changed from 1 to 3. At least that gave me time to take Daughter and Girlfriend to Wendy's. We had only missed one "cheer event" all season and that was THE ONE where the newly revised schedule had been handed out. One of the sassy teenage coaches swore up and down that ALL the girls had been given the new schedule. With an air of sarcasm in my voice I asked, "At the last practice?"
"No, the one before that."
"Oh, so the ONLY time we missed."
A bit more humbly: "Sorry."
We did a bit of shopping. Loads of fun being silly with Daughter and Girlfriend. We even caught some not-so-nice looks from other people in the public bathroom at the outlet mall. We weren't THAT bad. I thought we were getting arrested after pulling out of 7-11. Good grief...my sister-in-law is going to have second thoughts about letting Girlfriend go anywhere with me again unless I explain! We had been in 7-11 getting some drinks/snacks for the drive home. It was now dark. As we pulled out of the parking lot, Daughter began to wonder if we had been charged for the Laffy Taffy. Maybe I was wrong, but I did not turn around to go back in to ask (since reason #2 for Blog Failure was keeping our schedule a bit tight). Daughter has this new light thingy that she can wear on her ear so she can read in the car. She loves to read in the car....not a trait from me - I puke. The light is kind of blue...she had it on her ear and was bobbing about as 10-year-olds do...yes, it made me think we were getting stopped by the cops for stealing Laffy Taffy. Just the light.

2. God's Bounty Sat. evening. On the way home we saw many possibilities for food we could take to our church fundraiser. My brother and his wife headed up this event that served wild game and seafood entrees for a donation. As we encountered deer and road kill on the way home, Daughter, Girlfriend, and I devised ways we could get the food possibilities to the event. We yelled "God's Bounty" at each sighting. We thought about dragging the deer behind the car using rope (Family Vacation style) or getting a large hook to stick out the window. Yes, we are an odd bunch....but boy do we have fun. We worked at the event and cleaned up. I got home 9-ish. Chatted with Brother & His Wife and Hubby. Went to bed...too exhausted to blog - but hey, I did good deeds on Saturday.

3. Ear issues. My ear that was infected in the spring still likes to remind me that it is part of my body. Rather than being ignored, it wants to throb or gurgle or cause a headache. On Saturday, it wanted to ruin me with a headache (no it was NOT the hip hop music played far too loud). It gurgled. It just annoyed me. On Sunday it made me a bit dizzy....nothing some motion sickness medication couldn't handle. I took some decongestants and some other stuff. I napped a bit on Sunday and (unfortunately) was better by Monday-which did not warrant a day off.

4. Report Cards. I despise report cards. This year we have to do them on the computer. I stayed at school until 7-ish on Mon. to get them done. There was a glitch with the spacing. Blah. Blah. Blah. Needless to say, I will have to redo them for the next 9 weeks because the glitch will ultimately cause them to be sesveral pages long. Did I mention I hate report cards?

5. State Report. Fifth grade report/project on New Jersey. Daughter and I have been steadily working...leaving nowhere to blog.

6. School. Each new month at school means taking down all the "stuff" from the previous month and putting out the new "stuff". It's very similar to putting up Christmas decorations and taking them down except it is EVERY FREAKIN' MONTH!! This year the process is a bit different since I am working with someone else. Hmmm. Is that positive? Let me move on because I am presently unhappy with that person. I have never given her a name on my blog and have several inappropriate ones I could use. Why am I unhappy? Presently I am unhappy because she felt the need to give her opinion of my child rearing skills (concerning academics) to one of Daughter's teachers which basically made me sound like some kind of freak. She obviously does not approve of the high expectations Hubby and I have for Daughter. She is entitled to her opinion. However, she does not spend more than 30 minutes per day with Daughter and me. So, let's wrap this section up by saying that this week has consisted of me staying late to get stuff done and being angry at my co-worker. Work is great.

So, I may not have reached my blogging goal, but I have been very busy. I didn't even touch on worrying about beginning Girl Scouts as a co-leader this week! I have focused on how I can abuse my children by my obsessive work habits and my freakishly high academic expectations. What evil shall I devise next? Anyway, gotta run....can't miss snuggling in bed with my kids to watch the newest episode of Lost....what hell they must endure. Is that Social Services I hear knocking on my door?

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Several years ago, I read an article interviewing a new Secretary of Education. (sorry i don't recall his name) However, he made a point of saying that one failure we do to child is not having high expectations. That the act of expectations actually is empowering children with the knowledge that you have the confidence in them to excel.

So concerning "#6", keep it up with those high expectations.

Kristin said...

THANKS! I really needed that! :0)

Anonymous said...

Hey, our parents had high expectations - and look how we turned out! Not so bad, I don't think. The opinion of one failed mother shouldn't even get to count, considering all of those of us who "REALLY" know you, wish we could be more like you!

Anonymous said...

Wish Finley a happy birthday please.

Anonymous said...

ok, i'm late in coming to the party because i have barely been at home - literally, we've been traveling it feels for 10 days, and now that we are home, it has been insanely busy (but, a story for another time). as for parenting skills, seeing how it is totally new for me and each day can be a new experience, here are my thoughts (and it's late so i'm tired and not making much sense) - you can look at the things you do as a parent in one of two ways - either, one day you're going to be watching your kid on the jerry springer show or they're going to turn out just fine. i make the best decision i can with the information that i have at the time, and hope that it turns out ok. but, there's always the chance that most of us parents are just walking a thin line between sanity and springer!! my attitude - go with your gut instinct and that little voice inside and you'll generally do what is best. also, keep your sense of humor!! but on a lighter side, also fix your hair in the morning - you never know when jerry and his tv crew are showing up at your doorstep! carolina

Anonymous said...

haha GODS BOUNTY! next time we go we are bringing a HUGE net and straps for the roof! haha