Thursday, November 23, 2006

Bah Humbug!

Bah humbug! ~ Ebeneezer Scrooge

The color of the sky as far as I can see is coal grey.
Lift my head from the pillow and then fall again.
With a shiver in my bones just thinking about the weather.
A quiver in my lips as if I might cry. ~ Natalie Merchant

OK. So Scrooge isn't typically associated with Thanksgiving....but it sadly encompasses the mood I've been in today. Perhaps it's the weather. The food was delicious. The company was wonderful. The power went off mid-meal, but the community building where we all gather has a generator so we were just fine....and thankful that all our dishes were complete and ready for the taking. Again, screw that Kelly Chandler. She'd probably have eaten outdoors in the cold like the Pilgrims themselves. "Not I," said the pig (quote from The Little Red Hen). Still, I've been in a dismal mood most of the day. It sucks to be in a funk on a holiday. I've tried to shake it, but it insists on staying. It didn't help that I awoke with a migraine and the caffeine in the medicine makes me shaky. Oh, well.

Son's Mom Challenge for today? The yard is really wet from all the rain. Finley has pooped a bit too close to the back entry steps as a result. The weather has prevented me from poop scooping...ok, I probably could have done it, but I did NOT want to be out in the ugliness. My last words as Son and Daughter headed for the truck: "Please watch your step. Don't step in dog poop." That was it. My fate was sealed. Moments later my son comes back up the steps elated that he has stepped in dog poop. Me? Not so happy. Hubby set down the asparagus casserole and commenced to washing the shoe that we had to force him to wear anyway. HE wanted to wear flip flops. Yeesh! I took the mashed potatoes to the truck and then came back in to help Son change his pants since he had tried to remove the poo by rubbing the filthy right foot on the inside left leg of his pants. Did he want to change? NOOOO! The battle ensued. I finally won when I said, "Fine. You can be the one at Thanksgiving that smells like poo.".....definitely reminiscent of Adam Sandler in Big Daddy when he says something to the effect of "I have the smelly kid in the class?"....not to mention the extra incentive I used to change his mind. That's the basic jist of it. Maybe I should write a book....Fun With Son: Tales of Desperation.

No comments: