Tuesday, October 03, 2006

Birthday Eve

We all have our time machines. Some take us back, they're called memories. Some take us forward, they're called dreams. ~ Jeremy Irons

Although Son and I enjoy Love You Forever and often recite the "I'll love you forever, I'll like you for always, as long as I'm living, my baby you'll be" verse, I know mentall that he is no longer my "baby" in the traditional sense and has not been for some time (my heart....that's a different story). HOWEVER, on the eve of his 5TH BIRTHDAY, it is now even more apparent. Where does the time go? My time machine easily transports me back....his birth, introducing him to Daughter and the rest of the family, illnesses, bumps, bruises, giggles, expressions of joy (on the 4-wheeler, riding a 2-wheeled bike, winning a trophy at the recent fishing tournament, surfing, having the "big kids" acknowledge him), the Hot Diggity Dog song & dance, the Michael Jackson dance, our trip to Baltimore, fits of anger (that make me laugh after the fact). As for traveling forward, I only wish for the best....success, happiness, UNC-CH (aw' c'mon...you KNEW I had to go there!!), and a vast amount of time to add more memories. Happy Birthday, Son!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Very touching. We've already discussed how much that story affects us both. My son is only 7.5 months old and I already wonder where time is going, as he is no longer content to fall asleep on my chest for hours at a time, his heartbeat a rhythmic metronome of love and joy for my own heart.

Happy Birthday and a may he grow up big strong and happy. And a Tar Heel!

Brown Dolphin