Monday, October 30, 2006

AHOY!


Birthdays are nature's way of telling us to eat more cake. ~ unknown

Throughout my life my mom ALWAYS made a big deal about my birthday. Winnie the Pooh theme with handmade burlap ears for all. Major sleepovers. Roller rinks. Even as an adult she continued to do nifty things for my birthday....for years she'd bring doughnuts and milk to my classroom for my students and me. In fact, she unexpectedly died a week before my 30th birthday....with plans for celebration underway. No, I am NOT trying to bring anyone down. I fondly and happily look back at all of those times, knowing that she did it to demonstrate her love for me. I no longer enjoy (nor want) my birthday emphasized. In fact, it saddens me...but I often go through the motions of celebration for my kids....they do not understand why I don't want to celebrate my birthday. On the contrary, however, I LOVE to plan and execute themed birthdays for my kids. Daughter has had a jungle party (complete with hand-made vines that I slaved over for hours), a princess party (with a castle cake), a circus party, and several sleepovers...I think she really loved the spa party last year. At the beginning of October we had Son's Pirate Party. We did pirate make-overs...complete with gear and beards made with the ashes of burned cork. The kids dueled with pretzel sticks. They threw bean bags at the large X I drew on the sidewalk. They ran wildly around the yard searching for the missing presents that were stolen by Captain Blue Devil who left clues around the yard. It was super! Then it was time for the cake. I am not domestic. I am not a great cook (Hubby is in charge of that). Needless to say....I was proud of the cake Hubby and I created. The idea came from the Family Fun website, so I can't even take credit for that, BUT I think we did a super job with the execution. Like Son would say, "Isn't my cake AWESOME?!" HEE HEE.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

First of all, you DID make me get a lump in my throat talking about your mother. Secondly, you and your hubby's cake baking & shaping skills ROCK. Thirdly, your daughter looks like a mini version of you. And finally, your kids are going to rave on their fancy cyber blogs of the future that THEIR mother was awesome.

jackie said...

cute cake! your execution is flawless. we never made a big deal out of birthdays at our house, and now it just kind of freaks me out when people ask me what i want to do on my birthday. i'm always like--when's mybirthday again?