Saturday, October 28, 2006

Yes, I'm Gone to Carolina




A silver tear appearing now, I'm cryin', ain't I? I'm gone to Carolina in my mind. ~ James Taylor

Some people say that if they could go back in time to relive a part of their lives, they would go back to high school. Me? I personally wouldn't want to redo any of it. BUT, if I HAD to choose, I would choose college. I loved the time I spent in Chapel Hill and I have my girlfriend to thank for that. My two main "Carolina" friends: Carolina and Ethel are still a major part of my life and I love them to PIECES! I have known each of them over half of the time I have been alive!!! Ethel lives up the street from me. Our lives are so consumed by family, work, and commitments that we hardly ever have time for each other. Carolina has lived in many places (far from where I live) so we keep in touch through the phone and email....and the occasional visits....one of the best being the time that Ethel and I "punked" her and showed up in her condo in Atlanta (LONG story....but in a short version: she thought my brother was coming to stay with her for the weekend and came home to find Ethel and I instead...we HAD to meet the soon-to-be fiance to give our approval - btw: he is now her hubby!). A few weeks ago Carolina was planning to come to NC for a whirlwind visiting trip w/ "L'il Carolina" while Her Man was in the state on business. No brainer here: GIRL VISIT!!! We decided to spend two nights in Chapel Hill...hanging out and getting to meet the new "bebe". It was killing me that L'il Carolina was almost 6 mos. old and I had yet to put my hands on her! We met @ the condo Thursday evening and visited and TALKED (imagine that!) wildly until late...esp. considering that Carolina had only slept three hours since Wed. evening (when she & Her Man & L'il Carolina had left Detroit for their marathon drive to Va. & then spent the day only to head to NC). This is not an astonishing feat considering it is a known fact throughout the universe that exhaustion cannot cease conversation amongst girls...esp. girls who haven't seen each other in about a year and a half. L'il Carolina is even more precious in person as she is in all of her photos! She is absolutely delightful....hardly cries, sleeps well, very content! Carolina is VERY lucky! Ethel and I could not keep our hands off that bundle of smiles!!! We had her at the Cheesecake Factory where we had a fantastic lunch date with Hippie's Chick....whom I always love to see. I am proud to say I am no longer a Cheesecake Factory virgin. L'il Carolina didn't have her ID so she was unable to enjoy the dry martini that her mom ordered for her. Yes, Carolina ordered her a martini b/c she thought the waiter was being a smart ass. Hee hee! After lunch we did a bit of shopping...mainly Ethel and I dumping money into Limited Too! Then it was back to the condo to wallow. Ethel also had to go to the Carolina Brewery to hang some of her awesome photos of Chapel Hill. Hippie's Chick came over that evening to wallow amongst us. We spent the evening watching the DVD's of Carolina's wedding....mainly the uncut footage of the reception. Whew! What a party! The worst part was that we were watching the DVD's on a widescreen TV. Let's just say that it was not flattering....maybe even worse than my driver's license (see the next blog). We were laughing and ragging on ourselves as well as other wedding guests....I possess quite the sharp tongue and can be rather wicked when I get on a roll. I completely forgot that these people that were being "slammed" were friends and family of Carolina and Her Man. She told me later that she told Her Man (who called in the midst of the onslaught) that we were laughing at the DVD's and that I was her "South Park"....nothing is sacred for me. She said it jokingly...but it's true. She also knew that even if it was my family I would be carrying on in the same manner. My sarcastic and cynical comments are not selective....they're issued fairly to all: including myself. We found ourselves up late again. shock...not. Saturday was awesome! Another morning of bagels....this time from Panera (Friday had been Bruegger's). Then, it was off to Kenan for football. We took L'il Carolina to her first Tar Heel football game! OK...so the Heels are suckin' @ football...but there is NOTHING like being lost in a sea of Carolina Blue, listening to the marching band, drinking out of a blue cup, and cheering our old familiar cheers. It was awesome! And even better being with my Carolina Girls...and the newest of the bunch! Even though we lost, it was still spectacular! We took a stroll around campus after the game. The campus is as gorgeous as ever! The grass. The trees. The buildings. Traveling back in time....revisiting all those memories. Ah...UNC. We spent the rest of the afternoon @ the condo, knowing it was just a matter of time before Carolina had to leave for her next destination on her trip. Ethel and I agreed to hang out with L'il Carolina while her mom went to mass. However, the church that Carolina frequented in college (usually right before an evening of fun decadence and indulgence), was no longer in the same spot. Sad how things change. We fed L'il Carolina and helped Carolina pack her MINI VAN (boy are all of us cool - hee hee). Then it was the most dreaded moment of the whole trip...time for them to leave. I tried not to cry, but I just couldn't help it. I could start again...so I won't even go there!!!! Ethel and I went to dinner and then went back to the condo to wallow on the couch in front of the TV. Wow....we're such the party girls. On Sunday we shopped and headed home...arriving in the early evening. I loved spending time with my Carolina Girls. It was over far too quickly. So, when's the next reunion?

No comments: