Monday, February 20, 2006

Winter Wonderland? I THINK NOT!


Lord grant me the serenity to accept the things I can not change, the courage to change the things that I can, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those people I had to kill because they pissed me off. - anonymous

Ok. Here's the scenario. 5:35 this morning I receive a call from the principal that there is no school. Having been awakened unexpectedly from a Benadryl-induced sleep (I was having some allergy issues last night), I just took this news at face value and rolled sluggishly from my
bed to retrieve the phone tree so I could rouse
the next unsuspecting victim. I peer out the window only to see wet (NOT ICY) streets and some traces of snow on Hubby's windshield. It was not until I was on the phone with the person who I had to call that I actually saw a few flurries illuminated by the porch light. I was completely baffled. We go to school AT REGULAR TIME in torrential rain and 50 mph winds, but flurries....bloody hell, NO! (like that Clem & Clementine?). This rant may be unwarranted because I did not have enough wherewithal to question the decision at 5:35 (my brain does not function well under such circumstances). However, this is my blog so I am totally within my boundaries to bitch and moan where I see fit. How many days are we going to do this? Hurricane Ophelia resulted in several make-up days for us (not the schools "up the beach"), severely hindering our Christmas (yes, I said CHRISTMAS - not holiday or winter !!!) break. The schools "up the beach" held school while we were closed for days after the evacuation order was lifted. Why couldn't we have had school while they missed today?! THEY were the ones that had to deal with life-threatening, treacherous driving conditions created by the 1 inch of snow (if that much!)....(drip drip goes the sarcasm). Some would say that I should enjoy my extra day off. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE daytime TV and have already switched the channel more times than should be legally allowed while I gazed blankly at Kathy Griffin...not Nicole Kidman (her comedy slays me), The View, Olympic curling, Regis & Kelly, Son-in-Law, and Project Runway. Not to mention that I have already set the TV for Oprah and Wife Swap. The thing is, this is not a day off exactly. It will be made up at the most inconvenient of times: either this Saturday (resulting in a 1 day weekend) or by eliminating another day that was scheduled to be a day off - probably during Easter Break (yes, again I referred to a religious holiday!)when we will all be ready to kill each other unless we get some time off. When I rule the world, I will not completely cancel school immediately. I will call a delay until I deem it necessary to miss school AND if some of the county schools can open safely, I will allow it without exception! Vote for me for Queen of the World!!!!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I don't wan't you to be queen cause that would be very scary!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)

GIRLFRIEND♣♣♣♣♣♣
GRASSGRASSGRASSGRASS!!!!!!!!!!