Sunday, February 12, 2006

A Family Affair

When you look at your life, the greatest happinesses are family happinesses. ~Joyce Brothers

Saturday was certainly a day for family. After Jazzercise, I spent time at home with Hubby and the kids. Weekend breakfasts are one of the things I miss about being in The Cult. Yes, I still sit with the family, but I do not partake of the same edible pleasures that I did in my pre-cult life. If I eat the french toast, it is only one piece and without the syrup. I wonder why I even bother. Since I ate and drank away a plethora of points on Friday night at a staff party and saved the rest so I would have room to enjoy myself at least one more time over the weekend, I was left to eat meagerly the rest of the weekend. ANYWAY, this was not intended to be a whining session about The Cult, so I will abruptly get back on track. We had a bit of time to do some chores before Daughter's recreation basketball game. Since there are only two teams in her age division, the rec center has arranged for us to play teams from Manteo (a town an hour away). At 11, I walked into the gym at the rec center to see the mammoth girls my daughter would be playing against. Daughter is young for this league...the only girl in 4th grade, but her birthday demands that she play in this league. Her love of the game outweighs her skill, but as long as she is active and having fun, I am satisfied. Her team lost, but she played the best game I have ever seen her play. Nothing that would impress the mere spectator, but as her mom, I know how well she did and couldn't be prouder. Uncle B & Aunt K came to support her and help keep eyes on Son. Yikes! How many adults DOES it take to watch an active 4 year old?! We spent the rest of the day making valentines and working on Daughter's valentine box. It's not done, but should be cute when complete....I'll post a picture of our handiwork later.

Saturday night we were treated to dinner at Dad and More-Than-A-Step-Mom's house. I knew that I was wise to conserve my daily points and the extra points. I ate gleefully without any worries. First we had fruit and cheese and crackers. Then came the main meal: fried (yes fried fish)....one word - fabulous! With the fish we had delicious beans and a red beans, rice, & sausage dish. Equally delightful!!!! I had never had the rice dish before, and do not plan on it being the last time either! The cornbread was wonderful, as well. I was so carefree that I even allowed myself to have dessert: Breyer's ice cream with mini peanut butter cups and a peanut butter swirl! It was a night of feasting and visiting and thoroughly enjoyable!!!

2 comments:

jackie said...

and aren't you finding that you enjoy meals like that all the more when you have been a little bit deprived the day before? i do, anyway...

Kristin said...

a little deprived?! valentine's was TORTURE! Chocolate every-freakin'-where! a breakfast to honor the teachers: bagels, softball-sized muffins, fudge AND I DENIED MYSELF, opting to save points with a Slim Fast. I must admit that I had a 2x2 in. brownie and it was the BEST damn brownie EVER!!!!!!!!!!