Monday, April 09, 2007

Combatting Poker

No matter how busy you may think you are, you must find time for reading, or surrender yourself to self-chosen ignorance. ~ Confucius

I don't remember how or when it began, but at some point in time Hubby, Fred, and Karaoke King started a weekly Wednesday night poker ritual. Don't stand between Hubby and the door on Wednesday night around 8 because you are certain to get run over as he rushes to depart. There are other guys involved in the weekly event and it has only been on one occasion where the women-folk were allowed to attend. No, I do not know how to play poker nor do I necessarily want to learn how to play poker so I can compete for money with my friends. However, I DO miss seeing the poker widows. We used to get together AT LEAST monthly. Now that the poker aficionados see each other on a regular basis to gamble, grunt, and share in male bonding, the families basically don't get together anymore. Yes, there are other factors: work, children, yadda yadda yadda. Nonetheless, we girls deserve an evening out to bond as well. All of us enjoy reading. I know that I rarely take the time to read for pleasure anymore. I don't think I have read a "grown up" book since January!!! There was a time when I read a book each weekend! Considering each of these dilemmas, I think we are going to try to form a very informal book club. It would kill several birds with one stone: 1. increase "girl time" 2. increase our pleasurable reading 3. give us a "reason" to get together. If any of you have any suggestions for how to get something like this going or have any suggestions for great books, please leave a comment. :0)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

hey there - saw your message, and had a lot to say - it got too much for a blog, so i sent it to your personal email - carolina