Thursday, March 30, 2006

Deja vu? Not Quite

Live for today....Plan for tomorrow...Party tonight! ~ unknown

Here's the situation: Hubby is out of town on boat business. Daughter is at Girlfriend's sleepover for the big 13th birthday celebration. Teacher Workday tomorrow (for me that means Hello, Weekend a day early!). That left Son and I available for social activity. After all the responsibilities of today (work, tutoring, preparation for & delivery to said birthday party, taking Son & Finley to Brother while I attended Step Class & Cult Weigh-In), I was torn between going home and having an uneventful night - unless gorging on large quantities of food after the weigh-in counts - or trying to find some way to misbehave. Basically, after the Cult, I was ready to go home. I didn't run into Ethel at the meeting so I called her to see how she had done. As it turned out, she had not gone to the meeting for various reasons, one of which being the fact that Fred was out of town. Fred & Hubby out of town at the same time? The Fates were speaking....a Girls' Night! Oh, the days of yore...drinking, laughter, ultimately - spillage of some bodily fluid. So....we weren't going out AND the kids (sans Daughter) would be around, but hey, it was worth a shot. Did I mention the dogs?! Yes, Vida & Finley would get a Girls' Night, too. I stopped by the house to pick up the remainder of the vanilla vodka from last weekend, change out of my exercise attire, and then headed straight to Ethel's. A definite departure from those old party nights. NEVER would I have even contemplated a night of festivities without a shower and make-up partnered with a well-thought-out outfit. Tonight: jeans, athletic socks (one with holes), and my UNC xxl sweatshirt. The epitome of hot, let me tell you. As soon as we arrived, my exhausted dog found new life playing with her sister. This went on for hours. Luckily we freely poured the vodka and DIET ginger ale (like I cared about calories while drinking in my previous life) so we laughed when we discovered the trail of urine that encircled the kitchen island. Didn't know dogs could walk and pee simultaneously. So, here was the expulsion of bodily fluid (or so I thought). The dogs played so hard that blood was shed. At first we thought Finley had bitten Vida's ear...we later came to the conclusion that it was from Finley's bleeding gums. Apparently she is losing her baby teeth (Daughter found one the other day) at an amazing rate. The one side of her mouth resembles the Bumble from the Rudolph story. Ethel and I laughed, gossiped, ate, and drank. The kids played until all but one had fallen asleep. Son was on my lap until I finally had to go to the bathroom. I placed him on the love seat so my Girls' Night could continue. Then we found The Blues Brothers on tv. HHMMM...just like one night at Kensington Trace when I tried to watch it but just had to sleep for some reason. While laughing about how we really didn't remember the parts we were watching, Son (who had been coughing on and off throughout the evening) sat up from his restful state and puked all over the blanket that had been covering him. Yay...more bodily fluid. A puking boy...definitely resembling old times, although Son's was not induced by large quantities of alcohol. He proceeded to puke all over the floor of Ethel's bathroom. I think one teaspoon of it ended up in the toilet. Yay. Ethel offered a change of clothes to Son, but, being the anal soul he is about his clothes, he refused to change. After cleaning up the puke, we promptly left, son clutched to me in his puke-splattered clothing....puke blanket and bag of pukey paper towels in hand (couldn't leave that mess in someone's house - unlike olden days where it was common practice to NOT clean up any mess that you or anyone else had made). Now I sit here in my quiet home still in my sweatshirt that most assuredly has puke-transfer all over it while Son is peacefully resting in his Zyrtek sleep and Finley is restful after her wild night. Did I mention the fact that Ethel and I saw her hump her sister?! Yikes! Sounds like the Duke lacrosse party (oooh, bad form). I guess in that respect our evening DID resemble parties of our youth...dogs engaging in sexual behavior in public. What was it Luscious said earlier when I told her that I had never been home alone overnight with only Son and I didn't know what I would do with myself after he went to sleep? Her one-word response: BLOG. I told her I wasn't inspired to write anything. Funny what a Girls' Night can produce. All in all, the same elements in an entirely different setting with a contrasting set of characters. The memories (or lack thereof in some cases) of those days are priceless, but I wouldn't trade my life now to relive that period in time. I couldn't imagine my life without Hubby and the Kids. I DO miss the proximity of my girlfriends. Carolina, my friend...not the institution, is SO far away ready to deliver her new bundle of joy and I SO want to be there (no, not in the delivery room!). BUT girlfriends like the ones with which I have been blessed are always close...they live in my memories and my heart. Now, as I get ready to hit Publish Post, I toast (figuratively, of course, as a good mommy I stopped the consumption when the vomit flew forth) my former and present lives and send hugs and love to all my girlfriends.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't know what's more funny - the fact that you wrote this after our eventful, uneventful evening - or that I actually hit your blog (it's first on my favorites list) at 7:30 this morning (morning after) to see if there was anything new! Enjoyed seeing you - Carolina, I miss you too! :) xx0xx

Kristin said...

Let's top that off by the fact that it's 8 o'clock and I am seeing if anyone has commented! Thankfully, no more vomit or urine (well, except for in its proper receptacle) or blood since my departure last night. Son is still asleep...Finley just awoke from her stimulating evening.

Anonymous said...

LOVE the post - yes, all the basic elements of past party nights are there; the players have changed somewhat!!! we're lucky to have both the past and present "night out" stories in our lives!! here's to future nights of friends and family, and the bodily fluids that seem to flow forth!
Carolina