Sunday, March 19, 2006

Into the Wind

The bicycle is a curious vehicle. Its passenger is its engine. ~John Howard

Ride it like you stole it. ~ Pink Floyd

Growing up is full of big moments. Some of them you can see from a mile away; and some you can't see at all. ~ unknown

I knew it was happening, but it pains me terribly to see that my baby has grown into a little boy. He has learned how to ride a two-wheeler without the training wheels (that part must be emphasized as much in writing as it is when my son says it). The pride and satisfaction that oozes forth both when he talks about riding and actually rides fills my heart with joy and sorrow simultaneously. I was always so eager for Daughter to hurdle new challenges in life: learning to read, doing gymnastics, going to sleepovers, losing a tooth, etc. I find myself wanting to pull back the reins with Son for my own selfish reasons. Don't get me wrong, I love watching Son accomplish new feats, too, but it also saddens me because as he does so, it means that he is not my baby. It would not be fair to deprive him the opportunities that come with being a "big boy", so I encourage all of it. However, I think it's okay to privately yearn for my "big boy" to not get too "big" too fast. Now that Daughter is 10, I find myself not only wanting to pull back the reins, but feeling the need to pull the emergency brake. I am not ready for the physical aspects of puberty and certainly not ready for all the emotional aspects of it either. Yikes. Ready or not, here it comes. Despite all my sullen words, I am thrilled with Son's new accomplishment. He rides like he was born to pedal. I am jealous of his ability to do so with such carefree abandon. No fear, just fun. Just how it's supposed to be. OK. Now that all that is out, I can get on with watching time fly right before my eyes and rejoice in the fact that my babies are growing into healthy, happy people with minds of their own and joy in their hearts.

PS ~ To any of you who remotely think that this means that a third is the remedy, the answer is NO!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Awwwwwwwwwwwwww....I was hoping for another neice or nephew to love :) Just Kidding! Like you, I'm just thankful they are all healthy and pray we can give them guidance and wings, in that order.

Suzie said...

I feel the same trepidation as my baby makes his leaps from my side and he is almost 10! I once told my mom that she didn't need to worry about me anymore because I was an adult and married. She said it didn't stop the worrying, just added more people and bigger worries.
Enjoy those wings, keep the scissors ready for the occasional trims.