Wednesday, May 16, 2007

WTF is a Meme?

A meme survives in the world because people pass it on to other people, either vertically to the next generation, or horizontally to our fellows. ~ H. Keith Henson

A challenge from Hippie's Chick....a meme instructing me to name 8 interesting things about myself. The two I've read already have been quite informative. I've known Carolina for about 20 years and never knew she was afraid of turtles. Like Hippie's Chick (who's known her for even longer), I had no idea she felt this way about turtles (nor did I realize there was anyone in the world that was creeped out by turtles).....oh, the things I could've done with that info. :0)

Now that I've procrastinated.....interesting things, interesting things....I don't think I have any "shockers"....

* I just had the most wicked deja vu as I began to type this one! I looked at the bottle of Arizona Sweet Tea bottle and it started.....weird (maybe not interesting OR about me, but it's my #1).
* Unfortunately for my children, as well as most of the children I have taught, wiggly teeth - anything dealing with teeth (except for brushing of course) for that fact-makes my stomach quiver and brings me close to vomiting. I cannot stand to see wiggly teeth or hear about oral, teeth-related issues. On to #3 before I nauseate myself.
* I am an extremely shy, quiet person until I feel comfortable in my setting. I have to "feel people out" before I can be myself or have quite a bit to drink. I have actually shocked quite a few people after I have gotten to really know them. I remember Yo,L! commenting about it once I really got to know her and "let loose"....and she wasn't the first one. Once I know you, look out....I never shut up. I think I babble even more than I write.
* I give the appearance of being really organized and anal about everything when I really am not. I am completely together about some things, but otherwise I am a mess. I desperately strive to be neat and tidy and on top of all chaos in my life, but I fail miserably....have you seen my house or my car? Probably not because I am so horrified by the level of clutter that exists in those areas. Now don't get me wrong, it's not as bad as those hovels I see on those shows where teams of people have to go in and use a front-end loader to remove the mounds of clutter and trash....but it's far worse than what I like. I am just too busy and exhausted most of the time to do anything about it. Plus, I don't ever think anything is ever entirely clean. That's a whole other issue....Tied in with this, I am a cleaning whirlwind when I am completely and utterly pissed off. Scrubbing and scouring and throwing out junk in a fit of rage helps "bring me down". So, if you ever find me in the midst of a complete "clean sweep" assume one of the following things: 1. I am ENRAGED. 2. It's summer break and I have time and energy to devote to the care I want to give to my home, car, etc. 3. I am having company.
* I am terrified of two things. Not living up to the expectations I have for myself worries me more often than not. This is not just work-related. It permeates every aspect of my life. And no, I do not have an ulcer....yet. Secondly, I fret about dying when my children are young. Selfishly I want to see them grow into adults. Mostly, though, I don't want them to grow up missing me as much as I miss my mom.
* Despite the fact that I have been blessed with many talents, I wish I was artistic. I look in awe at the photographs that Hippie's Chick and Ethel take and know that I do not in ANY way have that eye for art that truly artistic people have. If I take a picture of a flower or a leaf, it looks like a flower or a leaf. These two gals take a picture of something and it is so deeply moving, it's incredible. I don't dance or sing or create anything original. I have nothing to possibly contribute to Ethel's gallery, but at least I have friends there......hee hee....which brings me to the next tidbit of info about me.....
* Contrary to all the other comments I have made that make me sound like someone with OCD, I DO love to have fun! I have to do SOMETHING to make me laugh each day. Usually my laughter is brought on by looking at the world in some cynical and sarcastic way and making hideous, hysterical comments on my observations. Many people don't care for that type of humor, but I adore it and surround myself with people who have a knack for that type of wit as well. Too bad Carolina has no capacity for comprehending such humor (see.....here is a prime example! This is a private joke that is oozing with sarcasm!!!). Along those lines...I love to play pranks (there is one I am still composing that I will post soon).
* Last one...whew...almost done! I am sappy. I don't tend to cry publicly, but I am easily moved to tears by songs, actions, books, events that are sentimental. I cry at church whenever anybody is baptised. Joy's two daughters were baptised two weeks ago and I bawled through the whole thing! She didn't cry. None of her family seemed to cry. Me? Cried. Certain songs make me cry. In My Daughter's Eyes by Martina McBride is a tear-jerker EVERY time. I had to wipe tears away on Wednesday at Son's last preschool picnic. Other parents crying? No. Just me. I will cry on his first day of school (I am welling up as I write) just as I did on Daughter's first day. I will cry at her 5th grade promotion. I will cry at Girlfriend's 8th grade promotion. I don't WANT to do these things....they just happen. I couldn't even speak at Carolina's rehearsal dinner because I knew I'd cry and I didn't want to be henceforth known as "that chick who blubbered through the dinner speeches". Thank goodness Ethel was able to get up and do it! I even cry on the last day of school. I usually write a poem to my class and I can't ever read it. They think it's funny because they know how I am after tearing up while reading Charlotte's Web, Bridge to Terabithia, and Meet Addy.
* Yes, this is 9, but did that first one really count? I think feet are gross. Baby feet = wonderful. Other feet = yuck. I have always detested my feet. It's only been in the past few years that I finally started wearing flip flops often. I guess with all of the rest of the things in life to worry about, the concern over the appearance of my feet in flip flops seemed to wan just a bit. I don't want feet on me. I don't want my feet touched. Yes, I go for pedicures occasionally, but I don't really ever relax because I know they are thinking or talking about how gross my feet are. I do it because I like how my feet feel after the pedicure. When I had my first pedicure, I broke out in a major sweat! I also do not let anyone local do my pedicures. I go out of town to people whom I don't know. Yes, I am a weirdo. I don't even try to deny it.

So, there is my meme. Perhaps not what it was intended to be. Definitely not something as revealing as turtle-trauma....yes, I'm still perseverating on that one! Now, how many people do I have to "tag"? Let's see....Ethel, Luscious, Jazzy, my sisters-in-law who read this, Hubby, and anyone I've left out. If you don't have a blog you can either write in the comment box or email it to me to preserve your privacy.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

you know, the turtle thing wasn't always something i knew (i mean, seriously, how often do you come into contact with turtles!). but, the apartment we lived in up here had several lakes around, and you would see turtles on the grass, etc (once, smashed on the street) and they freak me out. also, i've seen them at the zoo before (you just never took me to the zoo!!) and same reaction. caroline has a baby einstein video that has some sea turtles in it, and i don't enjoy those scenes. so, suffice it to say, my kids will never have pet turtles! loved reading your meme- carolina.

Anonymous said...

I will get back to you on this one. :) Carolina, I'd love to read yours too :)

jackie said...

yay! you did it. :)

i love reading these things so much more than i love writing them.

ethel, if you want to read carolina's meme, it's in the comments over on my blog at http://southernfriedgoodness.blogspot.com">southern fried goodness. i am STILL cracking up about the turtles.

jackie said...

ok--not sure why that link went in there all wonky, but whatever--you know where i am. :)