Saturday, July 01, 2006

Strange Day Indeed

Nothing is really work unless you would rather be doing something else. ~ James M. Barrie

Abiding by the above quote, every Saturday of summer is absolute, no-doubts-about-it WORK. I would love to be doing anything but working on Saturday in the summer. However, I must admit the bit of money I bring home each week is rather nice, although I won't go so far to say that it is worth it. :0) Inspecting houses for ungrateful tourists is horrible, especially when houses that the tenants deem as "filthy" are, at ANY given moment, cleaner than my own home which is constantly cluttered with the debris associated with everyday life. OK, so I am rambling. My point today is to discuss how interestingly odd my day was. When I arrived at work this morning, I was re-introduced to two Cape Hatteras School alums...one being a former student that just graduated! It was my duty today to teach him how to inspect cottages. I haven't spent a day with this "boy" since he was 6 years old! Now, 12 years later I am teaching him again. Weird. With this inspecting job, there are certain procedures that are to be followed for each and every home. In reality, in order to get all of the houses done on time, all of the procedures cannot be carried out for each house each week. It is impossible without the use of that clicker I've seen Adam Sandler toying with on the movie trailer for "Click". So, here I am trying to show this former student how to properly do each and every house. Then, as time kept slipping away, I finally had to break bad and show him how to "cut corners" when pressed for time. I feel bad about not giving each house the same treatment, but I also hate angry tenants who show up and wait outside their rental home and make snide comments and give nasty looks while pleading with you to let them in. One thought that disturbed me today was thinking about how this job was supplementing my family's income while for him it was just a "summer job". He plans to go to school to be a graphic designer. Ultimately he will make way more money than me and not ever have to supplement his family income with some job that kids consider a "summer job". I am 36 years old, have a Master's degree, and still have to supplement my income with another job. What is wrong with the world?

1 comment:

Suzie said...

I hated that job but it did pay some of the bills. Yes, I have done the same job to supplement the income and thought the same thing. At least you have the degree.