Friday, July 21, 2006

Truck Drivin' Woman

You can only play so much golf and lay around the beach. ~ Steve Spurrier

I won't comment on the "golf" part of the quote since I have never had the desire to do so...maybe I'm really missing out on something. It just doesn't interest me. The beach, in contrast, that's an entirely different thing. Although I am a Yankee by birth, I have always had a home near the beach (yes, even UNC had Conner Beach - tee hee). I cannot imagine spending my life in any other place. The salty sea air is divine and refreshing. There is nothing more spectacular to me than the beauty of the beach and the water. It is ever-changing, but always gorgeous. It is mesmerizing. I completely disagree with Steve Spurrier....I could lie around on the beach daily watching the tide come in and out. Watching the children splash and swim and surf. Watching the birds dart back and forth as the waves lap and regress. Yes, it has been over a week since I have written, but I have indulged myself and spent many days at the beach this week. Not full days, mind you....my fair skin and drive to do tasks that I despise (did you read my last entry?) prevent me from spending all day every day at the beach, but I have spent at least two (usually more) hours per day at the beach (or in my brother's boat as was the case on Sun.) this week. OK....I DID skip Sat. & Wed. I also overcame a fear this week that now enables me to visit the beach in a much easier manner....I learned how to drive Hubby's four-wheel drive truck on the beach!!! Yay me! My sister-in-law, A, rode with me the first time detailing the tricks of the skill. The tires need to have about 22 pounds of air. Keep the wheels straight at first and then turn. Etc. I have since driven to the beach twice with just the kids....meeting others, though. Today I was so bold as to let everyone else leave and stay with just the kids....I had even left my cell phone at home. True "roughing it". What have I been depriving myself of for all these years?! I toss my junk in the truck and only have to unload my chair and Son's boogie board. The food and drinks stay in the truck! I don't have to lug my paraphernalia across the hot sand. I have to work tomorrow, but I plan to kick that baby into four-wheel drive as much as possible next week. There isn't much summer left and I want to spend as much of it as I can on that beach!!! Vroom!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

it is about freakin time you learned how to drive a 4x4 on the beach!!! : ) L