Sunday, July 02, 2006

Always

Have a happy period. ~ online review of Always product

I have never been one to embrace the television ads for feminine hygiene products. Early on, I remember watching these ads wondering what the heck I was witnessing. As I learned more about the use of such products, the ads became a source of horrific embarrassment. Watching tv in front of any of the male species (and what guy likes seeing this stuff?) when one of these ads appeared was a fate worse than death. However, the commercials for said products were still a bit mysterious....the items were not really shown. Then came the evolution of the feminine hygiene ads into the horror they have become today. Gradually one was able to get a glimpse of the product. To prove their effectiveness they began to be shown absorbing quantities of blue liquid..bringing me to a whole new topic: What IS that blue liquid? WHY is it blue? Why is the blue liquid also used for diaper ads? How long will it take for these ads to evolve once again and be bold enough to defy the accepted use of blue liquid and dive fully into the use of red liquid?
ANYWAY....I spent a few extra minutes this morning watching crap tv. Rather than switching to another channel to watch during a commercial (my typical habit), I just stared at my tv. My mouth gaped open in horror. WHAT WAS THIS?! An Always pad commericial that likened the pad to a pinball machine! The little silver ball bounced back and forth to the pinging sounds associated with pinball machines while it emphasized the leakproof barriers. Does this really make anyone want to buy this product?! Does anyone WANT a pad that pings and dings? Does anyone want a pad with a silver ball bopping around? What must the other ideas proposed to the company have been like if THIS is the one they chose?
So, in summary, we have evolved from never seeing a pad to viewing it as a pinball machine. EGAD!
By the way, in my search for a quote appropriate for this entry, I came across this blog entry about some manly-man guy who wrecked his girlfriend's vehicle. I found it pretty funny. You may want to check it out.

1 comment:

Suzie said...

I always hated those commercials but my recent favorite is the new Stayfree commercial where the woman accosts these ladies in the grocery store and starts patting the pad on her shirt to show how fast it gets dry. I don't care how the make them or what they make them out of, you will always feel gross when your on your period.
The other blog story is very funny and the artwork is fantastic.