Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Zombie

A ruffled mind makes a restless pillow. ~ Charlotte Bronte

I tossed and turned, tossed and turned, AND tossed and turned. Then I was hot. Then I was itchy. Finally, I dozed off for a short nap before my eyes popped open at 3:15. It was that "pop open" that immediately lets you know that there is NO way you are going back to sleep any time soon. There was nothing acceptable on tv (and I will watch some garbage) so I got up and worked on the Social Studies lesson I am going to teach for the National Boards. For my lesson (which must feature artwork linked to Social Studies as well as demonstrate that I have created a classroom community where everybody gets along and problem-solves) the students (in small groups - another requirement of this lesson) will create campaign artwork and a slogan to try to get a character from a book elected to represent our class in the 2nd grade election. I searched for campaign posters, bumper stickers, magnets, bags, buttons, etc. from several elections and created a PowerPoint asking the students to observe the features of these campaign items (prominent name, year, slogan, colors, pictures, etc.). I also created a worksheet to help guide them through the creation of their artwork. They will get to choose whichever medium they would like to campaign for their candidate. I hope the video of this lesson turns out well. I'm putting all my eggs in this basket for right now so it better pay off!!! I finished my work and went back to bed at 6:30. I AM SO GLAD I DON'T HAVE SCHOOL TODAY!! I was able to sleep until 8:30 when the rest of the free world felt that it was acceptable to call: two telemarketers and the children's dentist to confirm Daughter's appointment for next week. I wanted to scream, but I guess I needed to start the day. I'll pull my hair out if I can't sleep tonight. I am not one of those people that can exist without enough sleep. I become even nastier than usual [beat you to the insult, Hubby ;-) ] and have even less patience than normal. Already I feel as though I spent last night out partying when I merely spent a quiet evening at home....well, as quiet as a house can get with two kids who are treading on each other's nerves.

1 comment:

Jenn Johnson said...

I feel for you - I told Jazzy the other day that her night sweats and hot flashes and all that other lovely stuff has rubbed off on me. I didn't know we were supposed to start this mess before we were 40 (I personally thought it was supposed to hit in the 50s). In my next life (if I believed in that) I'd definitely have to come back as a man!

PS - One of the things I'm thankful for today, is you. Happy Thanksgiving.