Saturday, March 31, 2007

Pull-Ups...Not Just for Kids Anymore


I've seen a look in dogs' eyes, a quickly vanishing look of amazed contempt, and I am convinced that basically dogs think that humans are nuts. ~ John Steinbeck

Finley gave me one of these looks today. I have never had a dog that was not spayed. I have never been around a dog that has been in heat. Just goes to prove that one is never too old to learn something new. I will spare the details of how I discovered the dog was in heat. As I have said in previous posts, I live in a REMOTE area. I cannot run out to the PetSmart and pick up a pack of doggie "supplies". First I called Hubby at work. His suggestion: the Pull-Up. Although deep in my heart I knew that this was going to have to be the solution, I was not ready to accept it. I called my brother. His solution? Again, the Pull-Up. How do I even begin to cut a proper hole for the tail?! Yeesh! I grabbed the Pull-Up and cut a slit from the waistband that was about 5-6 inches long. Then, like a rodeo cowboy roping a calf, I went for the dog. No, it is not easy to get a Pull-Up on a dog. I begged Daughter to assist, guaranteeing that she would only have to hold the dog's collar....she would not have to make any contact with her hind end (don't cha just hear Larry the Cable Guy when you read those two words?). A short struggle ensued, but the Pull-Up was on....only to begin falling off because the slit just separated. My solution? The stapler. I think Daughter was a bit shocked when I asked her to get it since she had jokingly suggested that we staple it TO the dog. I stapled the slit at the waistband and voila! A stylish doggie diaper that any bitch in the neighborhood would be proud to wear! I haven't seen any of the other dogs sporting Cars (the kid's movie) Pull-Ups....eat your heart out, bitches! Now to think about what I'm going to do when Son comes home and finds out Finley is wearing his night-time underwear......

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Two words - oh, my. When findog has puppies it will be worth it I hope, I'm sure, but wow that does NOT sound fun!

Anonymous said...

Just went thru that with Maddie, one week after she turned a year old. We have a Petsmart down the street, but your solution was just as effective. Since the weather has warmed up we kept her out in the kennel. FYI, dogs go into heat about every 6 months.