Sunday, December 10, 2006

Tagged

Getting to know you,
Getting to know all about you.
Getting to like you,
Getting to hope you like me. ~ Oscar Hammerstein

My friend Hippie’s Chick tagged me on her blog challenging me to respond to this. Remind me to stop commenting on blogs! JUST KIDDING! I can never resist these things even when I have responded to the same questions zillions of times. Her answers reflect her eclectic lifestyle and her affinity for fine things. My answers remind me of Roseanne Barr or Peg Bundy. :0)

1. Egg Nog or Hot Chocolate?

I am enticed by the spicy smell of egg nog…even the prospect of a little alcohol…however, I really do not care for the taste. It’s kind of like sushi to me (prepare for what some may consider to be a statement of pure blasphemy). I can do it, but it’s nothing I crave, need to have, or would consider my life cheated by never experiencing it again. Having said that, I guess I really do not need to detail my preference. I am a modern girl and do anything I can to cut corners in order to make more time for some other “need to do” so I generally either order elsewhere or resort to Swiss Miss. Want to hear a sad one? I went to The Dancing Turtle, a local coffee shop (which has been here for a few yrs and I only crossed the threshold THIS past week for the first time – it WON’T be my last as I have already been there twice and am addicted), for a peppermint mocha and offered a hot chocolate to Daughter. She found it to be “bitter” and “nasty”….it was quite different from the Swiss Miss she usually gets and therefore disgusting in her eyes.

2. Does Santa wrap presents or put them under the tree?

In order to preserve Santa’s precious time, we have informed him that we do not mind if he leaves them unwrapped at our house. Our children are aware of the fact that parents contact Santa to let him know our preference.

3. Colored lights on the tree/house or white?

White exclusively. Hubby and I both grew up with colored lights, but for some reason are in mutual agreement of using white only. Why? I really don’t know. Surprisingly, I don’t even think I need to spend time pondering this preference which is odd for me as I tend to overanalyze everything. Yes, I am shocking myself.

4. Do you hang mistletoe?

I hung it in the house one year when I received it from a student. Otherwise, I don’t. It’s not that I don’t appreciate kisses….it’s just that I worry about what that boogie dog might do to it. I do have a fake display that was standard in my house as I was growing up. It, like many things that once lived at home, is now in my classroom. At present it is hanging from the audio enhancement system above the chair in my desk….not MY doing. So far it hasn’t yielded any kisses which is super for me. Nothing like avoiding molestation charges. I did have a close call when the principal came to my desk…..thankfully he didn’t see it and I scooted my chair out before he had a chance to spot it. Note to self: move the mistletoe.

5. When do you put your decorations up?

After Daughter’s birthday party weekend….I like to keep it separate. I think I am the only person in the free world that does not have a single decoration out….unless you count the white lights still dangling in the tree from last year….does that qualify me for the brunt of a Jeff Foxworthy joke? No, they have not been lit since last year.

6. What is your favorite holiday dish?

I have a pretty one with holly leaves on it from Pfaltzgraff. Hee Hee! Just kidding! I really don’t have a “real” dish that I have to have around Christmas. I love the simple snacks (cheese & crackers and beefsticks, cookies, fudge, etc.) that we put out after church on Christmas Eve. Hubby and I (and the kids, etc.) live in the family home. His dad grew up here as did all of Hubby’s siblings. The house has always been a gathering place for the entire family. Each Christmas Eve we all go to church and gather here for snacks after the service. It’s something I look forward to every year. The snacks are not elaborate, but are guaranteed to taste delicious. It’s also when Girlfriend, Daughter, and I debut our holiday creations. For several years we have gotten together to bake cookies or make bark or something yummy. Another tradition we love. :0)

7. Favorite holiday memory as a child?

I used to lie on the floor at the base of the tree with the all the lights off….except for the blinking, colored lights on the tree…and watch the patterns created by the lights and fake tree needles on the ceiling. I also remember the excitement of decorating the tree each year. Our tree had a nursery rhyme theme and it was like visiting old friends each year when it was decorating time.

8. When and how did you learn the truth about Santa?

I have always believed in the magic of Santa. Generosity and love are characteristics that make the holiday what it is.

9. Do you open a gift on Christmas Eve?

I typically don’t. The children do, though. It’s not much of a surprise anymore, but it’s always a new pair of pajamas and a book. The new pajamas make for pretty pictures and the book helps settle us in at bedtime.

10. How do you decorate the Christmas tree?

By hand. Duh. OK, enough of the smart-ass answer. Our tree is adorned with white lights. Hubby likes a red and white tree (I guess after his favorite store – sorry, local joke…sorry for more “smart-ass”) and I have really grown fond of this scheme even though a few that don’t follow the “rules” make it in – the Babies First Christmas ones, those handmade by my inlaws, etc. We hang shiny red glass balls (yup, the cheap ones from either K-Mart or Walmart). We also hang a strand of gold beads. The majority of the other ornaments are the crocheted (?) snowflakes and angels made out of white cloth. The tree is rather “old-fashioned” looking….completely different from my childhood tree.

11. Snow. Love it or dread it?

I am not a big fan of the snow. My body temperature is similar to the outdoor temps in Antarctica….I am constantly cold. I don’t want to be out in the cold. I don’t want to miss school because we just have to make it up on a Saturday or on another day that we are scheduled to have off. I grew up with snow and DID enjoy it then. Hot chocolate, mounds of snow to dig in, sledding. My cynical adult life has altered my view of snow. I dread the snow….I feel obligated to get in it with the kids when it DOES snow, but I could do without it.

12. Can you ice skate?

I have been skating before. The talent agents ruined it for me…..surrounding me, hounding me to represent our country in competition – kinda ruined the joy of it. Fearing I’d dash the dreams of young talent, I have retired from the sport. No need to rub my expertise in the face of others. BAH! HAH! What a joke! Let’s see….intentionally go to a building where I KNOW it’s going to be cold…sure. The last time I went I was in college. I could probably be coerced into going again, but do not feel deprived by staying happily at home.

13. Favorite holiday movie?

I don’t have one. I detest A Christmas Story with that kid in the glasses. I’ve seen it, even quote the words, but I really find it annoying….esp. when it’s played for 24 hours straight….what ass thought of that?! Christmas Vacation is quite entertaining and so is Surviving Christmas with Ben Affleck. I am drawn to holiday movies with a dysfunctional family. Yes, I am warped.

I enjoy the old Christmas specials like Rudolph and the one with the Burgermeister. My FAVORITE one of those is Twas the Night Before Christmas….the animated one with the mice and the big clock.

14. What is your favorite holiday dessert?

Anything chocolate…..

15. What is a favorite holiday tradition?

Christmas Eve church service @ our church followed by the get together @ my house. It wouldn’t be Christmas any other way. :0)

Preparing treats with Daughter, Son, & Girlfriend.

Delivering plates of cookies w/the sisters-in-law

16. What tops your tree?

The stuff UNDER the tree…..far better than what's on top - hee hee

An angel.

17. Which do you prefer: giving or receiving?

Giving….even though I suck at selecting good gifts. I hate to receive. It further demonstrates just how bad of a gift selector I am. The thoughtfulness of each gift I receive touches my heart and makes me sad because I do not have a knack for eliciting such a response in others. I enjoy watching others light up as they open gifts. I'd be just as satisfied on ANY holiday without a gift. The few times I HAVE succeeded in achieving “giving success” have made me feel SO good. Seeing Hubby get that puppy last year still warms my heart.

18. What is your favorite Christmas song?

O Holy Night….when sung by someone with true talent I get chills and my eyes fill up every time!!!

19. Candy canes?

Bah humbug….like sushi and egg nog – could do without, but when in sugar crisis they work.

I am supposed to tag others….if you read this, you had BETTER consider yourself tagged….if you don’t, expect coal in your stocking!

4 comments:

Waiting on cupid with my glock said...

I REALLY liked this post. It was so funny. I especially liked the wee bit of smartass. lol

Anonymous said...

Remember you tagged me first.

1. Egg Nog or Hot Chocolate?
Both, it's Christmas and time to go all out.

2. Does Santa wrap presents or put them under the tree?

Again, both, variety is the spice of life.

3. Colored lights on the tree/house or white?

A)We don't say colored in our house, they're pigment fortified lights.
B) Sorry about that, just one of my many stupid Christmas jokes.

4. Do you hang mistletoe?
No, we use lethal injection. See 5b.

5. When do you put your decorations up?
When the boss (wife) tell's me to. See 5b

6. What is your favorite holiday dish?
OP--other people's, I love all kinds of food

7. Favorite holiday memory as a child?
Shaking the presents to guess what was in them.

8. When and how did you learn the truth about Santa?
About 6, I asked my Dad. Mom about killed him, but he figured if I was old enough to figure it out by myself, he shouldn't misled me. Which also led me to the reliaze about the Easter
bunny, tooth fairy (yeah, I was a little bummed). But looking back, I didn't include Jesus in that
group.

9. Do you open a gift on Christmas Eve?
I did as a kid, the boss won't let me now. Mean boss. Mean boss. Mean boss. etc.

10. How do you decorate the Christmas tree?
Pull out the step stool, string the lights, hang the requist number of ornaments (about a dozen). Turn a football game on in the other room, leave and let the boss and assistant boss go to it.

11. Snow. Love it or dread it?
Love it, but only if it's hip deep to a tall Indian. I hate messing with piddly ones.

12. Can you ice skate?

I have been skating before.

13. Favorite holiday movie?
"It's a Wonderful Life".

14. What is your favorite holiday dessert?

Wife is making about a zillion different holiday cookies. I am forced to sample each
and every one. Isn't that's what a happy marriage is all about!

15. What is a favorite holiday tradition?

Cutting the Christmas tree.

Christmas Eve church service @ our church followed by the get together @ my house. And seeing my younger brother walk in with two half gallons of egg nog--It wouldn’t be Christmas any other way. :0)

16. What tops your tree?

An angel.

17. Which do you prefer: giving or receiving?

Receiving that "look" on a loved ones' face when they open something I gave them.

Strike that--bring on my stuff, let the gluttony begin!!!!

18. What is your favorite Christmas song?

O Holy Night….when sung by someone with true talent I get chills and my eyes fill up every time!!! Amen except for the tears, well maybe just one or two, if no ones' watching.

19. Candy canes?

They're like fruit cake around our house, they never disappear.

Okay my last stupid Christmas joke. My tie just
come back really clean from the cleaners. It's Santa tized.

To all a good night.


Monday, December 11, 2006

Anonymous said...

From the ATL:

1. Hot chocolate

2. Both this year, since we now have a kid

3. I prefer colorful lights. We do white ones.

4. I sneak enough kisses without mistletoe (as you might suspect based on tales you may have heard from college), but I may get some this year to save me some effort and snare even more kisses.

5. When wife says so.

6. Peanut butter chocolate balls.

7. Coming down and seeing that Santa had brought us so many toys.

8. Not sure, but I kept the secret from my younger sister and got to play Santa one year for my younger cousins.

9. I used to pine and pine to be able to open a gift, but now I want to make it solely a Christmas day thing for my son.

10. I do the stuff up high and place the CAROLINA ornaments in prominent positions.

11. Love snow.

12. I can ice skate. I always used to enjoy imitating Eric Heiden from the 1980 Olympics.

13. This sounds silly, but my family always settles in to watch DAVE and THE AMERICAN PRESIDENT. Love those movies.

14. Dang, since I already did the dessert, my favorite food is gumbo.

15. Opening presents one at a time so that everyone can see everyone else's reaction.

16. An angel

17. Both, but I would rather give now that I'm older.

18. Traditional is Little Drummer Boy. Pop songs is "Do They Know It's Christmas" by Band-Aid and "Happy X-Mas (War Is Over)" by John Lennon.

19. I'll eat about one candy cane a year. The rest go to waste or get eaten by my wife.

Suzie said...

Ok, I am not adding my list to your blog so you will have to go to mine to read all about my warped life. No real surprises here though. But as always, entertaining.