Monday, December 11, 2006

Party Like a Rock Star




Show me what you got lil mama
Show me what you got pretty lady
Show me what you got shawty
Show me what you got baby ~ Jay-Z

On Friday night I entertained 14 girls ranging in ages from 10 to 12(?) for what is mistakenly referred to as a 'slumber party'. Daughter turned 11 on Dec. 6 and this form of revelry has become tradition. We use a friend's rental cottage....not one of the monsters. It's a quaint two bedroom place in a quiet neighborhood on a miniscule island. Sometimes in the winter Hubby and I take the kids over there for a change of scenery. It is directly on the water and typically peaceful and serene....until the 'slumber party'. This year our theme was Rock Star. We have had the Make-Over party (where the girls played with make-up, did hair nails, etc.) and the Spa Party (facials, smoothies, massages, hair conditioning, etc.) and both were a lot of fun. Girls and make-up and hair crap....guaranteed success. This year we had spray-in hair dye, make-up, hair crimping and/or staightening and/or curling, and a drink station (each drink recipe was posted in the kitchen with a trendy Tween rock star name - the traditional Shirley Temple was named The Baby V after Vanessa Hudgens; there was a Hannah Montana - blue punch and Sprite; and the Sweetah Cheetah named after the Cheetah Girls - ginger ale and vanilla). The girls love to mix up their own stuff. Upon arrival, each girl was given their gift bag with a plain plastic cup to decorate with those "bling bling" rhinestones created for cell phones. There was karaoke (thanks to a cool b-day gift), too. The dance contest that the girls organized was a sight to behold. I may have witnessed a career-in-the-making out of some of these chicks. "Oh, yes. I remember how she shook what her mama gave her (instructions given by the emcee of the dance contest) at Daughter's 11th birthday party. I saw such talent in her then. The only thing missing were the dollar bills stuffed in her panties....and the pasties."
Did I mention the drama? What tween party would be complete without it? There were more than 5 incidents involving tears over "hogging of the microphone", "too loud to sleep", "no one paying attention to singing", "snotty pants", "acting like a brat", yadda, yadda, yadda. Did I mention that I did this act of love AFTER a long week of teaching? Let's just say that by the time I encouraged "lights out" and "snuggle" up around midnight, my patience was much thinner than at 6 pm. However, not as thin as it became as the night extended into the wee hours of the morning. Between midnight and three I dealt with many issues. One of which was Truth or Dare. When I first got the tweens settled in, I completely closed the bedroom door to give the girls some privacy. After becoming aware of the attrocities being committed during Truth or Dare, I would no longer shut the door and by 2:30 the door was completely open and would remain that way for the remainder of the shin-dig. I felt I was in some demented version of Girls Gone Wild. Girls kissed (on the cheek only - or so I have been told). By the time I realized what was going on and intervened, three girls had exposed their breasts (and believe me there were sights to see) and one had completely pulled her pants down. Had I expected THIS?! NO!!!! This was quite a change from our previous parties. I did the best I could to thwart the activity without making them feel ashamed. I just told them that I didn't think nudity was appropriate and that asking others to show private areas could make people feel bad. I also asked them to think about how they would feel at school when people started talking or if they happened to see me in the hall at school. I explained that I would really feel odd having to explain this to their parents. By 3:15 when there had been verbal ugliness imposed upon the majority of the girls by a group of three girls I finally lost every last bit of patience I had. I told one girl that we could call her family if the noise level was that big of a deal (that was at one of the quietest moments of the night) and then I spoke really firmly to another one of the guests stating bluntly that I did not want to hear another peep out of her. Girlfriend spent the night, too. She is not a night owl and ended up falling asleep before midnight in the room where I was sleeping. I woke her up at least three times throughout the night. She'd sleepily ask, "Are they still up?"
"Yup."
"What are they doing?"
I'd explain the newest tragedy. With each event, she was more and more bewildered....as was I. We planned a Rock Star party. I guess we got it. Everyone was gone by 10:30 leaving me to clean up. In addition to the expected unclaimed clothing...socks, shorts, a pillow....I was delighted to find a Care Free pad under the love seat....unused thank goodness....peeled from the plastic preserving the "sticky" part. Nudity. Feminine hygiene products. Girl on girl kissing. A mother's delight. Daughter, Girlfriend, and I did have fun imitating the more dramatic events of the night (no, we did NOT expose any private parts). Overall it was fun and festive. I've heard that the girls had fun. I suppose that's what counts. Next year, however, I am going to push for an Amish theme.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks alot, my daughter is off to college next year. I probably won't sleep again until she' 30.

Suzie said...

I can't wait to hear all the details. What a great time. I think a few friends and a movie sound really nice. At least you know who she is NOT double dating with. Tell me too so I can keep my son away.