Monday, June 19, 2006

Eureka!

You never will be the person you can be if pressure, tension and discipline are taken out of your life. ~James G. Bilkey

Here it is...the quote that defines my life. When I sit down to blog, I always search for the perfect quote to exemplify my feelings, thoughts, rants, etc. Tonight as I sat down to compose, I searched for quotes about slackers. I could find next to nothing and what I did find was junk. Next I moved to the topic of stress. Here is where I hit the motherlode. Most of what I found, though, spoke poorly of stress.....some drivel about there not being stress in nature and stress being some type of defect. Of course I'm not going to stand for THAT! Like I'm going to view stress as something negative when it is part of my essence. On I trudged until I found this gem....my new mantra...my explanation for my type-A personality ("A" standing for anal of course). I have been stressed from the moment my eyes popped open far too early this morning. At 6 AM I awoke having a horrific dream about Vacation Bible School....my new compulsion. I am a co-director this year. It officially begins one week from today. I am having to rely on a number of people with whom I have not worked before. I have not been able to get in touch with some of them. I don't know when we are setting up. What needs to be bought. What decorations are complete. Who is in charge of each crew. With so many unknowns, I am almost in hives and have had a headache ALL day. I am not sure if the headache is hormonal, stress-related, or (even better) related to my wretched ear. I was just noticing the other day that the daily sloshing of fluid was now absent. Guess what?! I "spoke" too soon! All day I've heard it whenever I've bent down to pick something up. YAY! Maybe it will get infected and burst again! JOY! To compensate for the plethora of unknown factors, I have typed informational letters for each station-leader, typed up the schedule, made door hangers/fliers for the children in the village, written lists, tried to hunt down books, delivered a packet, created a certificate, updated the supply list with volunteer suppliers, and made a shopping list in Excel. I came within millimeters of creating a VBS Blog. All these loose ends HAVE to come together soon or I am going to completely freak out. As I sit here griping, and I guess this is how He tends to work, one of the really old VBS songs has popped into my head..."Cast your burdens Onto Jesus. He cares, for you." I guess I am heaping the brunt of this on me. I should be praying on it. He is not going to let our VBS be a flop. It will all work out and it WILL be a success no matter how much I stress about it. The kids will come and have fun and that's what matters. Anyway, I am delighted with my new quote! I'm going to bed.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey, it can't flop...it's YOU...and it's BIBLE school! :) I hope you enjoy the time you have there because that's what's most important...you are so naturally wonderful with the kids. Thank goodness! (Since some of us struggle in that area).

Suzie said...

I struggle with the put the burden on Jesus thing too. It does help. The kids will have fun no matter what. I know if work out.

Anonymous said...

VBS will be a great success and I know you'll have fun, as will the kids! Can't wait to hear all about it. Kimmie