Tuesday, May 02, 2006

Oh the Horror!

The most flattering comments on your hair come the day before you are scheduled to have it cut. - unknown

Yes, this is especially true when you are a four-year-old boy who is planning on cutting his own hair. Yesterday Son participated in this rite of passage by hacking off his bangs. Like the second grader in my class last year, I know that it will only look worse as it grows out. Right now, the bangs are so short that it isn't too bizarre looking. Time and hair growth will change that. I cannot look at him without thinking about Martin Short as the synchronized swimmer. Even worse, I don't think he is over this thirst for cutting his own hair. As he snuggled with me last night I watched him lift a chunk of blond and pretend to snip in a scissor-like action with his other hand. Daughter reached this milestone in kindergarten and even displayed keen lying skills to boot. I was home on leave with Son when she came home having hacked off a piece...maybe two inches long....from the side, a more sensible and less obvious area. She told us that some boy was involved and that he had gotten in trouble for it. After a nonchalant comment to the teacher, I realized that no one was involved except for my precious little future-criminal. Luckily her talent for lying has not strengthened and I can usually detect her feeble attempts at deceit. Never again has she cut her hair. I would keep my fingers crossed in hopes that Son will be satiated by his first and only snip, but I don't even want to jinx myself by making scissor-like moves with any body parts!

1 comment:

Suzie said...

Make sure you take lots of pictures so that when his children do this, you can remind him. I didn't just cut my hair, I gave my sister a trim. Unfortunately, she was sitting in the rocking chair when I did it and I just couldn't get them straight.