Saturday, July 17, 2010

Photographs

One picture is worth 1,000 denials. ~ Ronald Reagan

I love photographs. I love posting photos online. I love perusing photos. I'm not saying that I've never been doing less than stellar things in photographs. I don't know if it's the wisdom that comes with age or just common sense that makes me shake my head when I look at photos posted on numerous social sites with young girls making vulgar suggestions (you know what I'm talking about...the V held up to the lips with the tongue dangling out). OK...so now I'm probably sounding like Andy Rooney (I can hear his whining voice echoing in my head as I type), but I have a few comments to make about these pics. ALL media warns about the types of "things" people put out on the web. Colleges and employers police social media sites. Do these girls (and, yes, I am being gender specific since the MAJORITY of pictures I see involve girls making these gestures) KNOW what they are gesturing? I tend to think NOT because of the audience these pictures reach. Do they forget that among the plethora of people they do not know on their FRIENDS list, they are also FRIENDS with adults in the community? Pictures my friends and I took that included any of our more illicit adventures were NOT for adult viewing. In fact, photos of poorer choices have met one of two fates: destruction or storage in highly secret locations. Yes, I know I could NOT look or I could even (gasp) delete these people from my FRIENDS, but as a parent of a teen, I DO like being able to see what is going on in my community. Now that my rant is over, I am heading back to my social network of choice so I can shake my head in horror at more of these pics.

No comments: