Saturday, June 07, 2008

The End of the Year

In my daughter's eyes I am a hero
I am strong and wise and I know no fear
But the truth is plain to see
She was sent to rescue me
I see who I wanna be
In my daughter's eyes

In my daughter's eyes everyone is equal
Darkness turns to light and the
world is at peace
This miracle God gave to me gives me
strength when I am weak
I find reason to believe
In my daughter's eyes

And when she wraps her hand
around my finger
Oh it puts a smile in my heart
Everything becomes a little clearer
I realize what life is all about

It's hangin' on when your heart
has had enough
It's giving more when you feel like giving up
I've seen the light
It's in my daugter's eyes

In my daughter's eyes I can see the future
A reflection of who I am and what will be
Though she'll grow and someday leave
Maybe raise a family
When I'm gone I hope you see how happy
she made me
For I'll be there
In my daughter's eyes

~Martina McBride

After my mom passed away in 2000 I received numerous messages of condolence. All meaningful and heartfelt. Over the years one has remained in my heart and mind. It has been a source of peace for me. The strangest part is that the person who sent it more than likely doesn't even know how dear her message and how I have clung to it. Her message simply said that whenever I needed to see my mom, all I needed to do was look into my daughter's eyes. How prophetic since "my quote" wasn't released until 3 years later. On Thursday morning I received a phone call at school from one of Daughter's teachers urging me to attend the Award's Assembly. I had planned on going, figuring that she was going to be honored for (hopefully) Principal's List for the year...if not, it would at least be Honor Roll. I explained this to her teacher, who was glad I was coming. She then proceeded to tell me that Daughter was going to receive more than one award. I was thrilled for Daughter. She has become such an independent person...it just amazes me. She handles all aspects of her academics (except for the large projects) completely on her own. I wish I was more abreast of the situation at times, but I also realize that I need her to make her own way and be responsible. I am so proud of the awards she earned and the humbleness she displays. Sometimes I worry that the parenting choices I make (and have made) have created a child that isn't as self-confident as she should be about her talents. I worry that she doesn't always reach her full potential because she doesn't realize how capable she truly is. But, I am a worrier by nature. There were so many highlights of that day. Seeing her with her medals was awesome. One of the other highlights was the morning phone call from the teacher. During the conversation she told me what a fantastic job Hubby and I have done. She said that Daughter was just flawless. She had tried to find just one flaw, but couldn't find one. Yes, I realize that she, like all of us, are flawed. I could go on forever listing mine, but to have a teacher tell me just how amazing she thought my child was instantly put tears in my eyes. I cannot even describe how much I love that girl (don't worry....I have a post cooking up for Son, too!) and how immensely proud I am of her and all of her accomplishments. Martina's words only begin to scratch the surface. :0)

3 comments:

Suzie said...

You have a beautiful daughter who you can be very proud of. It is wonderful to hear other's compliment our children but it is even better when we can already see it ourselves. Congratulations on a job well done.

Jenn Johnson said...

I am so proud to be an honorary aunt :) to such a special person. I love her (and goog). Thanks for letting me share a small part of their lives.

Anonymous said...

yeah, she ain't so bad