Saturday, January 20, 2007

The World Revolves Around Basketball

If you think small things don't matter, think of the last game you lost by one point. ~ unknown

First of all, has it really been since December 26th that I have written? Yeesh! What a slacker! Now, on with it!

Let's see. Basketball. So many things to say!!!

On Wednesday of this week Son played his first basketball game. If you have never witnessed 5-6 year old children play basketball, you are missing out! It is the funniest, heart-warming thing EVER! Watching those little ones play with such pride and carefree abandonment is just incredible. If it doesn't lift your spirit, you are as cold-hearted as the Grinch! Son did a good job running and sliding on the floor at each end of the court. His defensive moves were hysterical - hands up, wiggling his butt, scooting around. He even made a basket!!! YAY!

Daughter is in the 10-12 year old league again this year. She LOVES the game and has improved so much since last year. She is a bit more aggressive, but still is worried about fouling....to her it's like breaking a rule and getting in trouble. She doesn't want the ref to announce her number and let the other team take shots. Did I mention that she has played since she was 5 and has never fouled? HMMM...that perfection thing - where EVER did she find that trait?! (bah hah) In her third game of the season (last Thurs.) she actually shot twice!!! This is an amazing accomplishment for her and I was so proud! When the game slowed down she met my gaze and I could feel her elation. There's not much better than that!

In a few hours I am off to Chapel Hill for a weekend with Ethel & her family. Daughter and Girlfriend (my niece) are coming with me. We are going to the Georgia Tech game tonight in the DOME! I am so excited to see those boys play!!! Girlfriend is not exactly a Carolina fan, but should enjoy seeing some excellent basketball. Tomorrow we are going to watch the girls play NC State. That should be awesome, too. Of course there will be some shopping involved at some point! Not to mention a walk or two around campus, Bruegger's, Panera, Starbucks, Ben & Jerry's, etc. You must remember where I live in order to understand my euphoria over these places that are part of most people's everyday life. This is the girl that was amazed to see the flavored syrups that could be added to sodas and coffees at 7-11.

ALSO, speaking of basketball.....my friend Carolina used to joke with us in college that she wanted a bunch of children when she "grew up" (no, I'm not referring to height!) - her own little basketball team to quote her directly. Well, it looks as if she is well on her way since her
TWINS are due in August! They will join their sister who is presently 9 months old....yes, 3 children UNDER 16 months old. I am thrilled for her and her hubby AND simultaneously glad that it is not me!!! tee hee!

Anyway....sorry for the gap in entries. Guess what? I have either been extremely busy (work, basketball, cleaning etc.) or extremely slothlike (reading, lounging, watching poor tv, etc.). SHOCK! I will try to be better - at least I didn't get any email harassment this time....just a little verbal abuse from Brother. :0)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am glad you were having so much fun on my wedding anniversary! I was in Asheville having sex! Good times for me! L