Sunday, January 21, 2007

Hark the Sound of TARHEEL Voices?!

Hark the sound of Tar Heel voices
Ringing clear and true
Singing Carolina's praises
Chanting NCU
Hail to the brightest star of all
Clear it radiance shine
Carolina priceless gem
Receive all praises thine ~ UNC fans at the Dean Dome last night!!!!!!

We are still in Chapel Hill and having an awesome time. The fact that a water pipe to the condo has broken and we have no water has yet to damper our fun! The ride out here was great - sans the fear that I felt when the 'service engine light' blinked for a bit when I was driving over 70 (yes, the limit WAS 70). The noise level, at times, was a bit loud but certainly tolerable. Dean (as in Dean Smith) - Ethel's son - rode with Daughter, Girlfriend, and me. At one point we had on the XM, an MP3 player (attached to Girlfriend's ears - but loud enough so I could detect noise), and 1 if not 2 iPOD's going (one of which was attached to a speaker so Dean and Daughter could hear it. OH! I also forgot about the walkie talkies...that added even more noise and fun!

While we were unpacking Girlfriend's friend from school (Sob Story - whose family has a condo in the same development) came over. Girlfriend went to his place and then over to Granville Towers to play basketball. Ethel and I unpacked, making beds and getting everything in order. Then she and I went to purchase some drinks and snacks. The liquor store that we knew and loved is now a Boston Market. What's up with that?! So, we did what most normal girls would do: spend our "liqior store time" in "shop mode". We ran into Stein Mart for a quick peek (uh-huh). I came out with two cool bargains: a new comforter for the bed (75% off...$112 dollars off the original price....bringing the cost down to no more than $40!!!) and a pillow that has a speaker so I can listen to the tv (or iPOD) without disturbing Hubby. When we are in the living room I complain that the tv is too loud and when we are in the bedroom he complains that the tv is too loud. Odd. The pillow was 75% off too.....LESS THAN $10!!!! YAY! We then rushed into the store to buy milk and drinks so we could get back to get ready for dinner at the Carolina Brewery. YUM! Daughter and I had some pizza. Hers was regular variety and mine was Roma tomato and fresh basil. Girlfriend said her turkey wrap was good, too. The appletinis were delicious!!!!

ONTO THE BEST PART: THE GAME. There is nothing like being in the Dome among all that Carolina Blue and the cheering and the sheer excitement of it all!!!!! We saw it all: slams, 3-pointers, and VICTORY! Watching Daughter cheer with her face just glowing was incredible! Towards the beginning (while I was screaming and yelling) she actually told me she didn't know me (I guess that's the tween thing), but after a few minutes she was right there with me. She was mezmerized by the cheerleaders and the High Kicking Heels and the ram. The Carolina students all decked out in their blue with colored faces, etc. also captivated her. Today for the girls game she wants to do her face....we'll see about that. I could have cried if I had let myself.....all I could think (well, not all) is "study hard and this could be your life for four wonderful years. During the course of the game I kept my eye on Girlfriend, too. Yes, the Duke fan who taught Son to say horrible things like, "Yay, Duke." I don't think that will happen again. By the end of the game she was yelling and up on her feet rallying for the Heels! She even commented that she thought she was going to be a fan for this year...we all know that once you've gotten that feeling, it's there forever - DUH! She ate ice cream with blue sprinkles, wanted a pom pom, AND requested that we buy a shirt for her for the girl's game. Ethel sealed Girlfriend's fate by buying her a shirt BEFORE we even left the Dome. On the back it has Roy's Rules: 1. We play. 2. You lose. 3. You go home. As soon as she got back to the condo she had it on EVEN THOUGH THERE WAS NO NEED TO BLEND ANYMORE!!!! Yes, folks, I think Ethel and I have lured one away from the Dark Side. Score for us! OH! I forgot another highlight! Carolina read my blog after the game had started and called during the game! It was great to hear from her DURING THE GAME!!!!!! Yes, GP, we thought of you too...Ethel even had the phone in hand to call....but seeing as it was 9:45 and we only had your home number (didn't want to wake Little Heel) and work number (like you'd have been THERE)...we decided against it in case you were at the Grille.

Now I am going to join Ethel downstairs so we can get ready to hit Bruegger's AND Panera. It is already a fabulous day!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I will send you my cellie so that you never again have to pass up an opportunity to give me an in-person report on the crowd! Smile. Thanks for thinking of me and for getting the blog going again. I've missed reading your tales! Heck of nice win. Glad you enjoyed it. I should be there for the dook game.

Anonymous said...

i was thinking of you guys, and so excited and jealous that you could be there! can't wait to take caroline to her first carolina basketball game!!!! she so enjoyed her 1st carolina football game this year (despite our poor team!). Can just imagine being on Franklin St with you guys - have a great time, and keep those good vibes running through the kids - when Daughter is at Carolina, can we still come visit and go out drinking, or does that become off-limits? carolina

Anonymous said...

Wow! Sounds like you all had a great time. Thanks for taking the Ex-Duke fan.

Anonymous said...

You Meandering Amlessly fans just WAIT till K figures out how to post her video of Mascot Mania during halftime of the the girls' game (of course we stomped State!) This was one of the best times I've ever had here - there is NOTHING that compares to watching five kids (one would suffice, but five is how many we had in tow) absolutely filled with Carolina Fever. LIFE IS GOOD! Dean and Daughter could (actually I'm planning on it, but "will" might put too much pressure on?) be here in SEVEN years! And as far as I'm concerned, Carolina, its our job, no our absolute responsibility, to visit Chapel Hill as often as possible throughout the decade plus that the three of us will have Carolina students in attendance and demonstrate to our kids just how special this place really is! :) I can't wait to come back.