Sunday, January 29, 2006

Retiring a Legend

The bond between a man and his profession is similar to that which ties him to his country; it is just as complex, often ambivalent, and in general it is understood completely only when it is broken: by exile or emigration in the case of one's country, by retirement in the case of a trade or profession. - Primo Levi

Beware....drunken ramblings ahead. My points are gone due to excessive drinking and eating. However, it was well worth it. Tonight Ethel, Lucious, Hubby and I attended the retirement party of one of the truly talented teachers in the world. Braxton Hall is by far the absolute best teacher I have ever encountered in my years as a student. I was fortunate enough to have him for homeroom several times in high school, but even more significant were the classes I took with him. In that arena I was challenged to think for myself while learning the key elements of the democratic system. He expected nothing less than our absolute best. I have many fond memories of Mr. Hall. I still have difficulty referring to him by his first name to his face. I was an extremely shy student. Those of you who know me, go ahead and scoff...I am quite different among people I do not know. He insisted that I come to National Honor Society inductions when I refused because I did not want to be displayed in any way, shape, or form in front of my peers. Why do I question this behavior in my daughter? He called my home numerous times after my mother exposed me. I finally went to school the next day after many phone calls from both him and another teacher. I also remember that even though I had a wonderful grade point average in his class, I was never awarded the coveted academic award for his class....that went to those who were willing to take a chance and really express their ideas in class. He is truly an asset to the students of Hatteras Island and I only wish he could teach my children. He is planning to "double dip" and return in the fall....collecting both retirement and salary..I only hope he stays as long as it takes to teach at least my daughter. He had a send off any teacher woud be envious of....singing, speeches....a true honor. Good times. Excellent send off!

No comments: