Wednesday, January 18, 2006

How Do I Love Thee


I seem to have loved you in numberless forms, numberless times, in life after life, in age after age forever. - Rabindranath Tagore

Today is Hubby's birthday. Let's see...how have I almost ruined it thus far? I have made a disasterous cake. I tried to make one of those 4-point per slice cakes with the diet cola so we could be festive yet ever so thoughtful of our meticulous point calculations since the first Cult Weigh-In is tomorrow night. Rather than settle for the regular 9" x 13" pan, I had to be grander and bake it in a bundt pan. Mistake! Some of the cake would not come out of the pan. I scraped it off and tenderly attempted to graft the scraps to the cake. Not so pretty. This cake does not use frosting. Instead, again to preserve the points, it is topped with whipped topping because that adds no points. In my panic, I tried to top it before the cake cooled. The result? An ugly cake with melted whipped topping. I put the cake in the refrigerator to both cool it and hide it since the light in there has burned out.

Attempt to ruin the birthday #2 has been thwarted by Ethel. This is basically an addendum to the Puppy Saga. As Christmas approached, I had to buy Hubby gifts in case the puppy did not materialize. No problem considering the fact that his birthday was closing in. Either way I was safe. As you know, the puppy became a sure thing. Ethel needed a gift for someone so I let her give the gift I had bought for Hubby to the other person. Time eluded all of us and, as of yesterday, the gift was not re-purchased. Although slightly panicked, this ended up being a blessing in disguise because the gift would have dashed all regard to Cult Points. Talking with Hubby yesterday revealed an even better idea for a gift. Ethel had to go to Virginia today and was able to replace the original gift with the even better gift! YAY! She has even been able to deliver it to me before Hubby has gotten home. So, even though the cake is a bust, the gift rocks...literally! The puppy and the Cult have inspired him to walk on the beach daily and I truly hope he loves his new MP3 player as much as we all love him.

I met Hubby through Ethel while I was on vacation in Hatteras when I was thirteen. I had an immediate crush on him. During my last year in New Jersey he and I often wrote letters to keep in touch...he did not know about my secret crush and often wrote about his girlfriend, The Funk (no HE didn't call her that...it's how I affectionately came to know her after moving to Hatteras). It took me a bit to convince him that we were "meant to be", but it all worked out just as it should. I love him immensely and even though I have come close to botching this whole day, he would expect nothing less than my domestic imperfection.

Right now he is waiting for me to finish on the computer so he can play with his new toy. So, I suppose the birthday was a success. Daughter said the cake was delicious and he is eager to play with the toy. Yay for the chaos known as our life. It makes me crazy and puts a smile on my face simultaneously. :0)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ya know if uncle d didn't wan't fin then i woulda token her :D!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! JK The cake was delcious (even though it looked demented)and it all went good!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.

~Girlfriend