Tuesday, September 05, 2006

Woo Yeah!

I like the Whopper, BEEP the Big Mac. ~ Rob Base

One of my favorite '80's songs is It Takes Two by Rob Base. It not only sounds good, but it is attached to a fabulous memory of an evening (is evening the appropriate word?) spent riding and singing with Carolina and Ethel (are you with me, girls? i'm so glad we got jim home safely - By the way, dear readers, there was no jim with us...it was all a scam we made up as an excuse to be on the Duke campus). I think it was after we went to see the Indigo Girls and the Violent Femmes...I trust Carolina will correct me if I am mistaken. Hearing that song transports me first to the night in Ethel's sedan...all three of sharing the front seat bee-bopping along without a care in the world, still experiencing that euphoria one feels after a concert. It is one of OUR SONGS. When my brother got married I brought the CD in and forced the DJ to play it numerous times as we danced drunkenly about. The "song gods" must have sensed my early morning angst and known how much I needed a boost because I happened across the song on my XM (oh, how I love the XM) on my way to work. I cranked it, more than likely creating hearing loss for Daughter. Sometimes you just have to throw caution to the wind and dance like nobody is watching. :0)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I still think about that song and the Dukes of Hazard jump (probably a different event but the memories seem to run together, when I can grab them) whenever I see a green sedan...wouldn't our kids be mortified if they knew "the way we were"??

Anonymous said...

good times! thinking about the "the way we were?!?!" what do we think they're going to be doing someday!?!?! scares the be-jeezus out of me to think what little carolina will be doing one day - i just hope she has as much fun and escapes as unscathed as we did! word to your mutha on a lil' rob base - get loose now!
carolina

Anonymous said...

I love the line about "dance like nobody is watching." I think it's a line from somewhere, but it aptly describes that feeling that we've all had in the past. I can think of the times where I've danced like that--once in my driveway in Gastonia (can't remember the song) and then a few more times to the songs: FLAGPOLE SITTA by Harvey Danger and YOU GET WHAT YOU GIVE by The New Radicals.

Thanks for making me smile picturing you dancing like a happy fool! Smile.

Greg