Thursday, December 29, 2005

Circle of Life


Yesterday the hubby, Daughter, and I ventured to Chrysler Hall in Norfolk, VA to see the stage production of The Lion King. We (including two of Hubby's sisters (A & D), A's hubby, and their daughter Girlfriend) had made plans to do this WAY back in June and have eagerly anticipated the arrival of December 28 for months! I, personally, had put seeing this production on my list of Things I Must Do years ago as I sat mesmerized watching a fraction of the performance during the Tony Awards hosted by Rosie O'Donnell (how long has THAT been?!). When the lights dimmed and Rafiki began chanting the African lines of The Circle of Life, chills formed on my skin and tears welled in my eyes. Yes, I am a sap. I am guaranteed to cry when I am in awe of such incredible talent or even when I see small children perform. I have shed tears each time one of my children has performed in a preschool program and I know I will continue to do so. I shed tears as I handed the new pup to Hubby. OK, back to the gist of this post.....The Lion King. As the enormous, brilliantly designed puppets entered the theater aisles making their way to the stage I was overcome with emotion and was completely engrossed. I will not add too many details as I would not want to ruin it for anyone who plans to see it. Yes, we are all familiar with the story, but the way that the movie is translated to the stage is incredible. The puppets and costumes are fabulous and the talent necessary to accomplish the production is astounding. Possessing absolutely no musical talent leaves me both awe-struck and somewhat envious of these performers who are so obviously blessed with an abundance of talent. Being a small-town girl, it may just be that I am easy to please. Let's face it....I get giddy going to 7-11 to make flavored beverages and going to the Target in Chesapeake to get a Starbucks. However, since this is the world according to me, my final thought is that The Lion King is excellent and was worthy of being placed on my Things I Must Do list. See it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey there. the dog is the cutest!!! Well i'm working on finding out how my digical camera works that way i can send some picks of HI... Well Glad that U.D. liked the gift. Love to alls